Back when this trailblazing album first appeared, nobody had ever seen or heard a guitar like that because no such guitar ever existed. What was this? You couldn’t buy one.
That’s because he made it himself. The 22-year-old Eddie Van Halen had the mind of not only a great musician, but also of an innovative inventor—a constant tinkerer who was always messing with his gear. Eddie would say it was out of necessity as no off-the-shelf guitar had the features he needed to really do his job and realize his full potential. So, he took matters into his own capable hands — refretting the neck, installing a humbucking pickup which he potted in paraffin wax, as well a single master volume knob (famously labeled as “Tone”), brass nut and tailpiece from a ’58 Strat, cutting out and mounting his own homemade black and of course, coming up with iconic striped motif.
The all-new EVH® Striped Series ’78 Eruption guitar combines many of those famed mods along with modernized features and a relic treatment.
The Stratocaster®-style body sports Eddie’s famed white-and-black-striped paint job and has been paired to a quartersawn maple neck with a hand-rubbed satin urethane back finish. The 12”-16” compound radius maple fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets was designed for fast and furious playing styles with maximum comfort, while a heel-mount truss rod wheel makes for time-saving neck adjustments.
A single EVH Wolfgang® humbucking bridge pickup provides classic Eddie Van Halen guitar tone – from crystal cleans to fat and rich mids and lows, while the brass nut and six-saddle vintage Fender® Stratocaster synchronized tremolo bridge with a 43mm brass block allow for authentic EVH tone.
Other features include a skirted white Strat-style volume control knob (labeled “tone”) with 500K EVH Bourns® low friction pot and treble bleed circuit, black pickguard, chrome hardware, oversized strap buttons, EVH neck plate and larger, ‘70s-style licensed Fender Strat headstock with gold EVH logo.
- Series: Striped
- Body Material: Basswood
- Body Finish: Lacquer
- Neck: Quartersawn Maple, EVH® Modified “C” Backshape
- Neck Construction: Bolt-On with Graphite Reinforcement
- Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Satin Urethane
- Neck Thickness: .790” at 3rd Fret & .810” at 12th Fret
- Headstock: Large ‘70s-Style Licensed Fender® Strat®
- Fingerboard: Maple, 12”-16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Frets: 22, Jumbo
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Side Dots: Black
- Nut (Material/Width): Brass, 1.6875” (42.86 mm)
- Truss Rod Nut: Heel-Mount Truss Rod Adjustment Wheel
- Tuning Machines: EVH®-Branded Gotoh®
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge: Six-Saddle Vintage Fender® Stratocaster´Synchronized Tremolo Bridge with 43mm Brass Block
- Tremolo Arm: Vintage-Style Tremolo Arm
- Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
- Pickups: EVH® Wolfgang® Humbucking (Bridge)
- Pickup Color: Black
- Pickup Switching: None
- Controls: Volume (500K EVH® Bourns® Low Friction Pot) with Treble Bleed Circuit
- Control Knobs: White Stratocaster®-Style Skirt (Labeled “Tone”)
- Hardware: Reliced Chrome
- Strap Buttons: Oversized
- Strings: EVH® Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Included EVH® Striped Series Gig Bag (P/N 022-7742-100)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.